Thursday, January 21, 2010

LET ME SHOW YOU REAL SARCASM

As much as the hot weather is concerned, the atmosphere becomes worse as it is heated by the uncalled, condescending remarks by both Hani Tarmizi and Mohd. Samad who blatantly dissed Sarawakians by their words in Facebook.

Now, this is not the first time ever did I heard these kinds of wild remarks. I remembered when I first came to further study here in Peninsular, one of my friends asked me "How did you came here? By boat?"

Thinking that maybe everyone is still adjusting to the brand new university life as undergraduates, I let it passed. Then, surprisingly again during orientation week when we was having group discussion, he said "You are lucky to be here, if not, you wouldn't make it should you still live on trees in the jungle."

Again, thinking that it was a prank (you know, orientation) I simply ignored him. You see how considerate I am, after all, 1Malaysia kan? It is not until one day he blurted out that matter again that I can't stand it anymore - hot weather coupled with hot issue, behold the hot temper!

I poured it all out in front of him saying how 'uncivilized' he was until his face turned red. You know, it's somehow really irritating and appealingly unpleasant to be called 'kampung' by someone who's actually knows nothing about what he said and yet behaved like he's living hundreds of years ahead of time.

Yes, I am from a kampung, living all my life in a longhouse isolated deep inside a jungle, so what? The way I see it, it is this kampung boy who came from a longhouse as he said, is the one who clearly understand the concept of 1Malaysia as proposed by the PM, that is to stay united and UNDERSTAND each other by living in harmony, and he, being so-called civilized living in cosmopolitans, exposed to various type of hedonistic cultures don't? Who's the real 'kampung'?

Regarding the question of me coming here by boat, I think any sane person who IQ is competent enough to logically think, wouldn't ask this type of question at the first place. It really makes you fall short of the average human intelligence. Anybody who's ever travel outside would abruptly know that Sarawak is the home to the second biggest airport in Malaysia after KLIA. Yet, you said I came by boat. Clearly you never once took an airplane, I guess. Latin Americans still live in places like Grand Canyon and in Northern America, there are people settling in Alaska, does it means that United States of America uncivilized? Babo!

Back to these 2 fellas, here are their nasty remarks.




To an opportunist, these remarks are yet another tool to create the already taken place tension among the various ethnicity in Malaysia unless of course we make things right. To me, as the one of whom these words are directed, it's inevitably uncalled for and worthy of condemnation. Worse comes to worse, you posted them on a social network such as Facebook that connects millions of people in the globe, though it maybe said to be unintentional, isn't it done on purpose when it comes to social rights?

Now, I'm not labeling all Peninsular people are ignorant. Never. In fact, most of my friends are from peninsular and we make good buddies. I am by comparison only referring to these 2 and those who said "Oh, you're Malaysian, where are you from? Sarawak, is it part of Brunei?" whenever I told them I'm from Sarawak.

It makes me wonder and ponder in deep perusal, WHY did some of the Peninsular people (not all) keeps on calling that we are uncivilized, living in the jungle, hunting wildboars and still have weird cultures like The Na'Vi in the movie Avatar?

My Conclusion: People's perception!

1. Firstly is through education. I recalled the last time when I was in primary school learning Kajian Tempatan and Geography made me almost puke. Not because of the subject but due to the loop-sided information in it. Whenever, there's an information about Sarawak, the only things that been mentioned about were pictures of rumah panjang, headhunting activities, weird rituals etc. Never did I saw any striking building like The A Famosa, KL Tower etc. being printed in the textbook - leaving people to believe that there is none of such in Sarawak. So, every single primary school kids who read Malaysian Primary School Textbooks are made to believe in their mind that Sarawak is nothing but a bunch of rumah panjang, headhunters and eccentric ethnics' dwellers. I know the intention of the ministry is to promote diverse rich cultures in Sarawak (2 thumbs up) but once in a while why not pictures of modernization i.e. the capital city, places of interests and tourist spots? Why must all the time portraying the past?

2. Secondly is entertainment and commercial influences. Almost every time when there's an advert regarding Sarawak, the contents are most likely typical - that same advert always shows Dayaks in loincloth using Digi, pictures of Orang Utans & hornbills, people living in rumah panjang and Jessica Alba playing the role of a maiden in Sleeping Dictionary - But, that's not all. Where's the picture of UNIMAS, Sarawak Cultural Village which host the annual World Rainforest Festival (attracting more than 100,000 visitors), Waterfront, Highland of Bario (home to the infamous Bario Rice), Mulu National Park (melting pot of natural biodiversity & dubbed as the biggest cave in the world which can accommodate 40 Boeing 747 aircrafts), Kuching International Airport etc.? Why must every time these adverts keep on showing the dull side of the beautiful land? Instead of jungles why not once a while show something more realistic? Not that we don't have one!

3. Politics. I'm not going to talk about this here because politics is not my forte. I just want to ask this question: Where did the politicians (Sarawak indigenous leaders) - the one who is elected by the people to make their voices heard - cowering during this time when their support is much needed?

I'm not suggesting that the commercials industries to stop promoting Sarawak. No. I'm making myself clear that sometimes why not let people see it the other way round. Enough with jungles, isn't it time for something more realistic and aesthetical? And to those 2 ignorant scums, do plan a visit to Sarawak the next time before you comment because you know what, the state you are now makes you looks silly.

God's willing, maybe by that your perspectives towards us may thrive to greater heights. Because to be called savages when you are not, hurts.

Till the next postings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails