Monday, March 1, 2010

INVICTUS

I am no fan of literature so to speak. Yes, English maybe fun but it takes more than some skimpy knickers to get my head nailed to it. However, recently I've came across a poem written by an Englishman about 135 years ago and it's straight away became my favorite - without any second thought.

The poem called 'Invictus' which means 'Unconquerable' in Latin was a masterpiece by William Ernest Henley (1849-1903). Written by him on his hospital bed while he was being treated for bone Tuberculosis (TB) resulting in an amputation directly below his knee as the only way to save his life.

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole.
I thank whatever Gods maybe,
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance,
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance,
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears,
Looms but the horror of the Shade.
And yet the menace of the years,
Finds, and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my faith;
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley, 1875

I like the poem not because of the typical urge that someone needs something to hang on to - never crossed my mind. I like it because of it's straight-forwardness, simplicity and nature, that to me act as beacon in the storm, unbent and indomitable. The kind that steer one's determination through actions against whatever circumstances in life, that is to remain unfettered till the end.

If hardship and countless ordeals in life make you feel like the world is going to an end (which is common) then you are normal. If yesterday was your greatest regret, then you are still the human being you should be. If you are in pain, thanked God cause everybody felt it too. Everyone knows how it's like to walk the street and feel like the whole world is turned against you. Anybody knows what it's like to feel helpless and unable to defend yourself because the roar of the lynch mob is so loud that you are convinced that your voice can never be heard anymore.

But hey, remember this; your reaction towards the problems, the way you look at them with the thoughts of your loved ones around you and the conviction of your belief, might yield different outcomes. And that sometimes require you to be of the normal track - most of the cases, you go against the current. And that people, makes you a hero, at least to your own life. That's how 'Invictus' had influenced mine.

Till the next postings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails