Friday, August 7, 2009

VOICES FROM A LONGHOUSE (Part III)


Education: The Way Forward

This will be my last entry for the VoFAL trilogy which I've incessantly highlighted in my previous postings regarding the mysterious yet not so-complicated Iban community.

Truth be told, endeavor to be educated and to learn and re-learn are basic human instinct evolved since the very day of our pre-historic record from The Ice Age till present day. Humans keep on reasoning - thanks to our superb inquiry - that each new day seems to promise a brand new hope.

In handy to this somehow natural instinct of acquiring knowledge in order to make ends meet, here is where the needs for education be it formal @ informal took place in a society which includes The Iban.

Before I proceed, I just want to make it vivid to all that this writing has no intention as to marginalised, downgrade nor offend anybody neither it was intended to serve any purpose of political gain whatsoever - NEVER! This is just a glance of the future as seen by a mere student of an Iban ancestry who felt that the time has come to speak up his heart whilst ready to be chopped.

By the way people, do you know how many population of Sarawak? Let's see...


Yes, 2.4 million as dated above. Who's making up the biggest pie? Again? Correct, The Iban. But, why on Earth that Taib Mahmud - a Melanau (among the minorities) - became the Chief Minister? This is more to politic already. Ha2.

It is understood from the chart that we (The Iban) holds the majority of population but in reality, disparity and oppression still occur.







Heaven's know, I am not finger-pointing anyone for this mistake, it's just iritates me that why couldn't my people understand the importance of formal education in life in order for them to survive nowadays.

I agree not all are destined to be Einstein-liked out there, but at least, we should make it a try. I am also fully aware in my conscience that not all of them are able to pay for the school fees, stationery and other stuff but as I want to stress upon, here comes the role of parents! Don't ever think of producing one if you don't have the guts to sacrifice everything for it's sake.

During most of my visits to not only my longhouse but others as well, it's kinda sad to hear when some parents simply uttered with zero-filled-shame at all mentioning;

"Who cares about study and school, look at me, I didn't ever go to school and yet I'm able to make a dollar providing for the family. You should be strong like me toiling up the field, harvesting lumber and be a man!"

That's an every day example of a must-babbled nonsense spoken by a father to his children. Do you sense the awkwardness of the phrase? "... like me..."? Catch my drift? To me, a real father who understand true meaning of life's difficulty always wanted their children to be BETTER THAN them NOT LIKE them. And to be better not only from your ancestors nor everyone else is to get a GOOD EDUCATION.

I remember my sister always reminded me of education saying that it is the most precious treasure one can keep. Why? - As she gracefully replied in tender smile, "Money, gold and glory eventually rot only knowledge through education stands in time"

I'll pen-off here and will be continuing the very last part of VoFAL on how to get a good education and can the poor really cope with education issues in the next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails